I was tagged by http://autisticbfh.blogspot.com/2007/07/8-random-things-meme.html
for a meme listing 8 random things about me. (sorry, I suck with links but thanks for the tag abfh, this is fun)
1. Let others know who tagged you.
2. Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.
3. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.
4. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.
1. I'm really a very shy person. Or maybe shy isn't the right word since once I know how to relate to you I can be loud and outgoing. I think I'm just a bit socially awkward. I have to compose what I'm going to say in my head before I say it out loud. I have to force myself to make a phone call, both social and business. I was so upset when my first son was also shy, although he seems to have outgrown it which is awesome.
2. I'm not much of an activist. I was before I had kids and I hope to be again some day. My main 'causes' are midwifery consumer issues, environmental issues, and autism education and supports. The last one has been ever changing. I seem to have gravitated away from preschool type programs and am really interested in what's available (or not available) for my son and his peers when they become adults. I want to see all autistics be supported in living life in ways they feel are helpful and necessary.
3. I read a lot. Every day. Books, signs, blogs, the back of cereal boxes....you name it I read it. I can read the same book over and over again if there's nothing else to read. They think I'm crazy at the library. I prefer reading things that expand the mind but honestly I can be just as happy reading a sappy romance novel or a how-to manual. I've been reading since about age 5 and my whole childhood had a book in my hands.
4. My husband and I have become very close because of adversity in our life together. He is a constand source of strength to me as I hope I am to him. He was the only person with me when I miscarried our first pregnancy at 12 weeks. He dragged my body from one place to another in our apartment on my request. He held my hand, cried with me, and cleaned up afterwards. We've been lost together (and yep, I was reading the map so it was my fault). Suffered financial hardship. Most of all, he DID NOT freak out when Patrick got his autism diagnosis. His exact words after we got the news from the psychologists were "Well, that's good, now we can figure out what to do and get the supports he needs." I have never needed to hear words in my life more than I needed to hear those ones that particular day.
5. I've always considered myself lucky. Born in a great country (Canada), good parents, good home growing up, nice husband, healthy children....sometimes I can be the eternal optimist.
6. I used to hate pink and now I love it (but I still don't like frills or anything froofy).
7. I liked breastfeeding.
8. I always get too serious about things. This meme is a good example. I could have just told you my favorite color and what I like to eat but I felt the need to go on and on about personal stuff. Then I realized what I was doing and, as usual, overcompensated in numbers 6 and 7. I also take myself too seriously. I am constantly trying to be able to laugh at myself.
I really don't know who to tag. I think almost everyone has done this one already. So, if you read this and you'd like to do it, consider yourself tagged.