It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Alberta

Is it all I've heard it is? We discussed making the move when our son was diagnosed and decided to wait and give our own province a chance. Then my husband finds out he can get a great job there. I'm totally freaked out. I am not a mover.

I'm just wondering is the grass really greener? Is it really a land of supportive schools with ABA/IBI for all??

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian Parker said...

Oh, cool, another Canadian (at least I'm presuming that not many Americans would contemplate moving to Alberta for services).

I'm not sure where you live, but we live in Ontario. Here, we have pretty reasonable access to speech and language training, pitiful access to OT now that our daughter (the Bear) is three (but it used to be better - once per month), and as for IBI/ABA, we pay ourselves as we're on the waiting list that never ends.

From what I hear, AB really is better at funding services, although I'd be curious if the supply of competent practitioners has kept up with demand.

Mon Aug 21, 01:37:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

My son is 4 and we're still sort of waiting to see what's available since he was only dagnosed this year. Just went through OT and speech asessments so not sure how often he'll get those services yet. We're also on the waiting list that never ends. I too am curious about the number of practitioners available in AB.

I don't think we'd choose to move to AB just because of autsim services (although I just heard there's an autism unit at one of the hospitals that only cares of autistic patients) but we might consider it if a good work option was also available.

Thanks for coming by. :)

Tue Aug 22, 06:04:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home