It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The boys (how great they are).

My post about siblings got me thinking about the boys in general. I'm sure you can tell from my writing that I rant a lot, I get easily distracted and my topics can be vague. But I want to share some specifics about my wonderful boys.

Older brother is 7. His most recent accomplishment is showering solo. He shampoos and rinses himself and can even turn the shower on and off. Sometimes I forget how much he's growing up as we focus so closely on Patrick's development. He's also starting to want privacy. Instead of just telling him I had company in the bathroom for the past 7 years so he can just deal with it(first him and still Patrick if I don't want him to get in trouble while I pee) I'm trying to make it possible for him.

Older brother is an artist. He's a 7 yr old artist but an artist just the same. He LOVES to draw and does it all the time. The sheer amount of paperwork that comes out of his room is insane.

Older brother wants to be a police officer and a teacher when he grows up. He's a wonderful teacher to Patrick and I think he'd make a great one. I've never met such an unselfish, calm and patient 7 year old.

Patrick is good at languages. I questioned the suitability of allowing him to take french at school (for about 30 mins each day) when english was an issue. Boy, was I wrong! He's picking it up like crazy. So much so that I'm musing about having him take a third language at some point.

I think he's going to read early. Or on time anyway. He's fascinated with books and his best language comes when we're discussing them.

Patrick's going to be great at sports. He's also really good at taking things apart but hasn't yet learned how important it is to put them back together.

We all have things we find difficult. I'm terrible at calling people on the phone. Patrick has language and social issues (among other things). Matthew's having a bit of trouble reading and he's shy sometimes. But somehow, when I think of us, those aren't the things that come to mind. I guess I'm a half full kinda gal...except my glass always seems more than half full. And some days, like when thy both wake up and give me morning kisses, my glass if overflowing. Lucky me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, what an awesome way to focus on all of the good things in your boys. Thanks!

Fri Mar 16, 10:58:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home