It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Finally another post

This getting into beta blogger through google had me in a bit of an annoying place lately but I've got it all figured out now...I think. I'm not exactly computer literate and I probably would have been find staying how I was. Oh well.

Things have been really great around here lately. Patrick is doing wonderfully in school. Parent/Teacher interviews are tonight. I'm not expecting any surprises. I talk to both boys' teachers almost every week.

An interesting note. Patrick and another boy got wrestling at school the other day (I was volunteering) so I got in the middle and put them both on chairs to talk to them. The aid came and took over and I walked away. She told me later the other boy tried to pin all the blame on Patrick. But she told him (and me) that Patrick hasn't gotten into any trouble lately unless someone else has instigated it. I was so proud of Patrick and happy that his teachers recognize that he's not a trouble maker. She had both boys tell her what they should do differently. It was great. There are a couple of boys in that class who like to pick at other kids and make trouble. Obviously we want to teach Patrick how to react appropriately but he's really not there cognitively yet. I'm just so relieved because I really did think Patrick would be blamed for everything since he can't speak up and tell what really happened and of course he has Autism so it must be his fault right? Wrong! Can you tell I'm really happy with this school and these teachers?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there,
I came across your blog while googling about autism treatment options in Alberta.
First I want to say, it is so inspiring and courageous that you are keeping this blog. Patrick sounds like a delightful boy.
My sister was diagnosed with ASD just a year ago (she's 5 now). She isn't getting anything in terms of OT right now and she's currently on the 36 month waiting list of IBI. I had read a couple months ago a new article about all these families of children diagnosed with ASD and when someone from our parent support group mentioned it again, we decided to go ahead and plan to move there as well, hence leading me to your blog.
In your subsequent posts since July, you hadn't mentioned anything else explicity about being in Alberta. Did you end up making the move? If so, is Patrick receiving the full package of services (OT, ABA/IBI, etc)? We made the decision to move to Alberta based on what we were vaguely told. Would it be possible for you to contact me (youfei.xiao@gmail.com) and just comment briefly whether you are satisified with what Patrick is receiving from the school system and/or community agencies?

Thank you very very much. I know any information you can provide would be a great help to our family.

Youfei

Fri Dec 08, 07:57:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came across your blog googling for fingertip amputations - my son partially cut his off with a knife left out (3rd right finger). Doctors were able to sew it back on. How did your son do?
Suesue

Sat Jan 13, 01:15:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suesue,

Matthew ended up with 4 internal and 4 external stitches. It was a couple of months of changing dressings and keeping it clean. He lost his fingernail but it grew back eventually. His finger looks great, he has a bit less feeling in the tip and it looks a little bit different than the other ones but it was a completely successful attachment.

How is your son healing?

Wed Jan 17, 06:03:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

phentermine withdrawal symptoms illegal to buy phentermine online - buy phentermine england

Sun Nov 18, 10:39:00 PM 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home