It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, October 02, 2006

vaccinations and ramblings

I know this is stupid. I know I shouldn't worry. But I do.

Let me give some background. When we first had children I really did debate the benefits vs risks of vaccination. I did hours and hours of reading on both sides of the issue. In the end, I decided I couldn't come up with a stong enough case NOT to vaccinate. So, we decided to go ahead with a slightly altered schedule to avoid too many vaccines in one visit.

I've always been uneasy about this subject. It really has nothing to do with mercury(especially because here where I live they were taking thimerisol out of vaccines at the time...my older son who's NT probably did recieve vaccinations with mercury preservative). I just never liked the idea of injecting all that stuff into my kids' bodies and I also worried about the difference between artificial and natural exposure.

Part of the reason we chose to vaccinate was because I have read enough about disease to know that the mortality/morbidity rates before vaccination were insanely high. I did the cost/risk analysis and made my choice.

Here's the deal. He's due for his boosters. Both DPTP-hib and MMR. And I'm freaking out. Even though because of delayed vax I KNOW his autism wasn't caused by this. He showed autistic signs way before he had a vaccination. I just am very anxious. With all the hubbub and discussion on the net about vaccinations I keep questioning my choices. I keep asking myself "did I make a mistake?" and "should I do this?".

We're planning to get them done. One next month and the other in march. It isn't that I'm trying to make a decision or anything. It's just that it's so damn scary!

Oh, and anyone who wants to comment and suggest my son is mercury damaged, when we were first diagnosed in my ignorance I did pay for testing (with two different companies and a DAN doctor) and all his levels are normal.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owen had his boosters in August and the same concerns flooded my mind.
Am I sealing the deal? Am I building another roadblock into his neurology that he will have to work hard to overcome?? Owen was diagnosed at 20 months- BEFORE he received his initial MMR vaccine. Yes, he had been given others, but there seems to be no clear cut answers for parents.

Mon Oct 02, 05:07:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Tue Oct 03, 05:55:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Karianna said...

Yeah. It is a tough argument. I see "both sides" and am still confused.

I don't think it is a retention of mercury issue, but I do think that certain kids are more sensitive to toxins, immunological overloads, and so forth.

So, I am glad my 5 year old son (PDD-NOS) doesn't have another shot due until age 9! As it is, flouride from dental visits throw him off for days. After his flu shot at age 4, he regressed neurologically for about three months. So, no more flu shots for him!

Sat Oct 07, 05:45:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

karianna, thanks for your comment. We've never done flu shots here so i don't know much about them. Isn't it a terrible feeling as a mom when you feel like you don't know what's best??

Mon Oct 09, 07:26:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mum, I hear you, and this comment is way late, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone. After we had been dealing with autism for four years we had a baby. Then the issue was, vaccinate or not? Did it cause it with Charlie or not? Talk about scary.

We decided to vaccinate. She is fine. Charlie has had his booster. He is fine. But around here there are a LOT of Amish families that never vaccinate. Their kids ride the school bus with the other kids in the community (although they have an Amish school that they go to) and our community has had a big outbreak of whooping cough and diptheria among both Amish and non-Amish families. Very scary.

I don't know what causes autism, but I am still going to give the shots. We just have to do it to be safe, I guess.

I like your blog.

Thu Oct 26, 11:36:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home