It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Halloween Fun

Patrick went to his brother's Beavers Halloween Party on Wednesday. This was not planned. At 5 pm I get a call from hubby asking if it's a problem if he works late. *sigh* No, not a problem except that he always watches Patrick so I can take Matthew to Beavers.

So the three of us bundle up and get into the truck. We get there, I send Matthew in, and Patrick and I sit down in the foyer to play with some stuff I brought for him. Well, the main leader wanders out and takes him by the hand and we all go in to the party. Patrick was allowed to participate in everything and he was very well behaved. The leader spent a few minutes discussing "beaver rules" with him and then gave him a high five.

What a relief for me. I really thought this would be a catasrophe.

I was already planning to register Patrick when he turned 5 in Feb. and send him with a special needs worker and now I'm totally convinced he will be included in everything and warmly welcomed. What a community!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karianna said...

Sounds promising!

Fri Oct 27, 03:21:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes folks just "get" our kids or maybe they just love ALL kids, and suddenly our fears are put to rest.
Glad you found a welcoming, kind group for Patrick to join.
We are still going to try Cub Scouts next year with Owen.

Sat Oct 28, 09:17:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home