It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Questions of the mind

I took Matthew to the dentist today to have sealants put on his back teeth. And yes, Patrick came with me. He was really well behaved. He spoke to the receptionist and another patient who was waiting. He talked to the fish. I was so proud of him. And, something happened for the first time. I did NOT say "He has Autism". I didn't feel the need to qualify his behavour at all. It felt really good.

It also made me start thinking out WHY I say that sometimes. Do I feel the need to explain him? Am I that worried about what others think? Should he only be accepted if he has a label? Can't he just be unique and who he is and still have others accept him for that? Needless to say I'll be rhuminating over that for a little while. I promise I'll post what I come up with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I feel less and less inclined to label Owen for other people- particularly professionals.
I may casually suggest something be altered to accomodate his sensory challenges but his history is his own, and not mine to share.
I don't think you are doing anything wrong by not revealing Patrick's challenges to everyone.

Fri Nov 17, 07:12:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home