It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Birthday's and such

My little boy will be 5 soon. Five!!!!

I worry as he grows and gets bigger. He won't be "cute" anymore when he does things that are inappropriate. Tolerence and acceptance from other adults will lessen. School will no doubt get more difficult and not less. We expect more and more of him (admittedly) sometimes too much.

He's doing wonderfully though. If you'd asked me when he was 3 if I thought we'd be where we are today I would have answered with a resounding "Hell no!". He has come so far. He has worked so hard. He can't wait for his birthday and this year actually gets the concept in advance. I foresee a day full of grins in the near future for our happy boy. We're tailoring his party around his preferences and sensory issues this year. It is, after all, his special day.

Pics to come of his 3D Thomas the tank engine cake! Him wearing his Thomas sweater that's several sizes too small but still a must for birthdays. Oh, and this is year 3 with a Thomas theme. Ya think he might like thomas trains?

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That’s so exciting! I loved Sandis’s fifth birthday. I remembered when he was born and fantasizing about what he would be like when he was five, and then suddenly that time was here! Sandis will turn 7 this year. I’ve thought some about needing to bring him into the restroom with me. I’ve talked with coworkers some about it, and while they think it is probably inappropriate to bring him in the women’s restroom, I wonder which is more inappropriate, bringing him in the women’s restroom or me walking into the men’s restroom. Sandis gets lost in bathrooms. That has been one big thing for me as Sandis has gotten older. Overall though, at six, he’s still devilishly cute, as I’m sure your little guy will be!

Mon Feb 05, 08:59:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is exciting and I know the phase you are talking about and Ash isn't dealing with the added stuff.

I imagine him in his sweater and I bet he is just adorable.

Mon Feb 05, 09:00:00 AM 2007  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Ah, the restroom dilemma. I still take Patrick in with me. I probably will for a couple of years. His older brother is almost 7 and I'm just starting to let him into the men's bathroom (after I've checked it's empty) alone while I wait outside. And he's NT!

Hi again Shannon. It's so nice to get your comments. :) Can't you just picture the sweater? I will post pics after the big event (I'm not mentioning the date because of TMI on a public blog).

Tue Feb 06, 06:10:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the birthday sounds fantastic. Tim will be six this year, and all things considered...five was really great!

(About the bathroom thing...I don't know what will happen. It's hard for me to envision, but I do have hope, that he'll be able to go by himself someday)

Wed Feb 07, 09:27:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Maddy said...

It's hard for me to accept that no matter how 'well' they do, the gap gets wider the older they are. At the same time, like you, if you'd asked me 3 years ago......I never dreamed that we'd get this far.
Lastly 'the rule' of Thomas disappeared when junior hit his 5th birthday - he decided that they were for little kids and just switched off - the pile of birthday presents was redundant, also made for big problems of motivation as we didn't have anything else to 'bribe' him with.
Cheers

Mon Feb 12, 07:47:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Kim said...

Well Happy Birthday to Patick!!!!

Thomas is totally cool. My kids didn't watch it, but I did, especially when Ringo was Mr. Conductor!

Tue Feb 13, 06:53:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home