It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Mercury/Thimerosol

I've been doing a lot of blog reading lately. The theory of mercury in vaccines being the cause of autism has been doing the rounds. I'm new to these blogs so it's possible it just keeps going round and round.

I have only one question. My son has never been exposed to these vaccines. So is he not autistic? Or are there different types of autism and only the kids who've been exposed can be cured by chelation? First you hear about how the levels are so high and that's what's doing it. But then you hear that even without direct exposure they could be poisoned environementally.

Annother question. My son's levels all come back normal...not autistic? Or not treatable? Or what? I should make clear that my son is not Aspergers or mildly autisitic. He's considered in the mild to moderate category but they said he just barely could be bumped up to severe.

Just curious as to how he fits into this theory. I'm not educated enough to claim I know that mercury is not the cause of autism. Is my son the only one who doesn't fit into this theory?

4 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

Charlie had the vaccines as a baby and toddler but there was "something different" about him from the time he was born. (And even before.) And many of his levels came back normal, too. (He's considered in the moderate category, severe without all the education he has received.)

Mon Jul 17, 06:48:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several bloggers on Autism Hub have discussed the lack of scientific evidence for the mercury hypothesis. You can learn more about it from Kathleen Seidel, Kevin Leitch, Autism Diva, Not Mercury, Joseph, and Dad of Cameron, among others.

Welcome to the blogosphere! You have a refreshingly sane attitude and a straightforward writing style. May I add your blog to my Aspergian Pride list of recommended websites?

Mon Jul 17, 07:48:00 AM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Hi to both of you and thanks for the comments.

kristina, Patrick was also different from when he was born. I guess I just want someone who believes this theory to tell me how my son fits into it.

bonnie, thanks for all those links. I am slowly finding blogs to read. You certainly can add my blog.

Mon Jul 17, 08:59:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, I've added your blog to my list.

If you're looking to discuss the thimerosal idea with people who believe it, I'd recommend Wade Rankin's blog Injecting Sense. He and most of his readers have a respectful attitude toward those who may not agree with their views, and the debates on that blog usually are much more polite than you'll find elsewhere.

Mon Jul 17, 10:57:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home