It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Starting a Program

I'm really nervous. I don't want to do something wrong. But I do know that I want to start teaching Patrick in a structured way. So, starting next week we are going to be following a program I've developed. It isn't really any specific therapy. I took a list of things that I feel are areas that he could and should improve. Then I read every textbook I could find.

I guess the closest thing it could resemble is a floor time situtation. Basically I'm going to try and teach him speech language/conversation and social skills through play. I'm hoping that my instincts as his parent combined with what I've seen as relative success with us just basically raising him using a relaxed approach and including teaching in every day life will lead us in the right direction.

Wow, that last sentence was a doozy. Good thing it isn't grammar I'm teaching. *grin*

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Farrelly said...

Good luck MKS. I've always said mum knows best! Your little guy
will improve immensely with your one on one program.

I also taught my own son for a year with a structured program. It was hard going but VERY beneficial.
Good on you mum!!

Tue Jul 18, 06:35:00 AM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Thanks, the encouragement is appreciated. :) I'm normally very confindent about my choices.

Tue Jul 18, 08:39:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home