It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Report Cards

Interesting, very interesting. I suppose it's too much information to get into here in bloggy land. Both boys are doing well though and I'm happy to see them both learning and improving.

The teacher is starting to hear him say things like "I'm mean" and stuff that I've been hearing for a while. She doesn't think the other kids are saying it although I'm not so sure. Anyway, she was concerned which is a good first step. We're having some serious self esteem issues here. I imagine that's normal when they start to be self aware. *sigh* This is going to be a long and arduous road.

2 Comments:

Blogger farmwifetwo said...

I've never had autism esteem problems. Probably b/c I never told my eldest he was "different". I never advertised it to him, things were done b/c that's how it was done.

He hasn't even clued in and he's got 1/4-time EA support FINALLY in Gr 4.... it just is. People come and go, testing is done and gone... I refuse to allow the school to tell him he's different.

One day Mom and I were talking about the little one and autism and he said "I don't have autism", and I told him "No you don't".

If I can prevent it he won't be told until Gr 8, when the next dx and psychometric testing is done. By then it should be a non-issue and I'm not discussing any previous reports/dx's with him... the only thing on his IEP his learning disability in language and short term memory retention concerns.

He now has 2 new best friends and he's been over to both of their houses in the last month and the one has been here.

He's not "different", he's not "special" as the Aspie ND autistics claim they are... I'm not going to feel sorry for him in any way or give him any special treatments b/c he has an IPRC and IEP at this time. There is no reason he can't be an educated, employed, and "normal" member of society when he's an adult.

The little one is pissy lately b/c language is behind where he wants to be... but he's coming along... FAST.

S.

Tue Mar 31, 11:34:00 AM 2009  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

I didn't tell Patrick he was different. He came and asked me why his brain didn't work (I told him it did) and then he asked why he was different than the other kids. I think it all started when a little girl at school told him he 'made things worse'. And he's noticing that he's far behind the others socially. There are times when he doesn't know what to do and I think that's scary to him.

We certainly havn't discussed Autism, but I don't mind him knowing his brain is different because he's so confused about why his body reacts differently(sensory stuff) and why he sometimes does stuff without realizing it. They're doing a lot of "we're all different" stuff at school that's helping a bit.

Wed Apr 01, 11:54:00 AM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home