It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Roses

Dh sent me 13 beautiful long stemmed roses from our local florist with a lovely card. He's away now until the middle of December and he was feeling badly that I would be alone on my birthday. They are lovely, and they've made my day.

Another IEP meeting with the school on Thursday. I've been very firm, refused to sign the joke of an IEP they sent home and talked directly to the principal about how the trust is eroded between us and the school. They want me to sign an IEP that only guarantees him 60 minutes of EA time a day, with another chunk of minutes that says "shared between two classes". Um, nope. Sorry. Not going to sign that. They tried to tell me his support would stay the same. Fine, then I want that in writing.

Wish me luck, I feel strong.

3 Comments:

Blogger Niksmom said...

Good luck! And happy birthday! :-)

Tue Dec 02, 01:27:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! What a sweetheart! I am sure the roses are beautiful. Happy Birthday!

Having a traveling husband can be so rough. J is gone all the time and it exhausts all of us.

hugs.

Tue Dec 02, 06:53:00 PM 2008  
Blogger farmwifetwo said...

Nickel's worth... in the Ontario School System... that IEP isn't worth the paper it's written on.

They do not require your signature nor your consent to implement an IEP.

They do not require your consent nor do you have the right to demand how much EA time your child gets.

As long as he's verbal, coping, toilet trained etc.... they do not have to put in support at this time. They only need to put in enough to give him the mandated time required if he has OT and SLP support to do extra work for those services.

I warned you about this. My eldest is in Gr 4 this year, and for the first time since JrK... has pt-time EA support (about 60min/day), OT, had a psychometric assessment, permanent computer is going in, sensory is being dealt with, SLP is doing language assessment - should be done next week, and he gets access to the LST 1hr per week and a token program (PDD support) is in place.

For the first time since SK (same teacher as JK... amazing woman) he's having a good year.

All I can say is.... keep pushing. And when something doesn't go right.. your reply is "I told you so", when they call looking to cast blame your answer is "contact 1. PDD, 2. Behavioural, 3. the SLP, 4. OT" depending on the reason they called... DO NOT, volunteer in the classroom. DO NOT offer how to teach advice. DO NOT give them a crutch. DO, get private speach, and homeschool so they have to keep up with him not the other way around. DO submit all private speech therapy records and any other private assessments/therapies you have had completed to be added to his OSR... Also, take a digital recorder to all meetings and keep those records... it's a mistake I made.

S.

Wed Dec 03, 04:28:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home