It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Progress, for the sake of

Our ultimate goal is progress. Most parents of autistic children (or any parent I guess) spend a lot of time focusing on progress. So what do you do when you're in a slump. When you've pushed your child to their limits and you're at a standstill?

I suppose one thing I do is withdraw. Pull into my own little dark corner and stop everything. As you may have noticed, this includes ignoring my blog.

But this weekend made me realize something. As I sat on the water's edge listening to the high pitched squealing coming from a rowboat containing hubby and both boys I had an epiphany. There they were, in the middle of the lake, and they had just caught a fish. The happiness they were feeling rushed right accross the water and hit me square in the chest.

What do you do when you're not seeing the progress you (sometimes unreasonably) want? You focus on the joy! Realize that progress will resume. You will not wallow in a place of stagnance. And enjoy the happy squeals.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. What an incredible and moving post. I am so there with you on this one. I know the feeling of wondering when progress will happen and then realizing it is my idea of progress I am pushing.

This is an amazing post. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Tue Oct 14, 07:26:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Maddy said...

Perfectly put. We have no choice and cannot do otherwise. Maybe we all spend too much time perseverating on the ifs and buts and maybes but then we get a jolt from some tiny huge event and a perspective shift. Thank you for sharing yours.
Very best wishes as always

Wed Oct 15, 07:34:00 AM 2008  
Blogger farmwifetwo said...

The VP mentioned this week about the little one's lacking in language comprehension skills. I said "I know, you need to talk to the SLP and then get the PDD teacher to tell you how to teach him"... "Oh"... "you're going to hit these walls and they take time to go around".

Same problem.. he can read, spell, do math with counters... but we've hit a snag and snags take time to go around.

Currently rocking the boat for the eldest. Psychometric testing is done, had a test in science that should never had questions that started with "Explain", and again.. what you said. Amazing how they are so happy about how well he is doing EA, token program... parental "I told you so" eye-roll.

S.

Fri Oct 17, 05:07:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home