It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, January 02, 2009

What a happy New Year.

"Mom, can I have some pop? Mom, can I have some pop? Mom, can I have some pop?"

The most irritating and yet still beloved sound in the world. My little fellow requesting something in a full sentence.

I still remember the days. Make-it-up-as-you-go-along-therpy in the kitchen.

Repeat after me.

"Can" "Can"

"Can I" "Can I"

"Can I have" "Can I have"

"Can I have a" "Can I have a"

"Can I have a drink?" "Can I have a drink?"

"Yes, of course you can Patrick."

Isn't it nice now to have the option to say no? I can't remember how many times we had exchanges just like the one I wrote out. And of course, at the end, I always gave him what he wanted just because of the sheer effort it took to get those words to go together.

I didn't find out until years later about scripting, scaffolding, or any of those other fancy words to describe teaching our children to speak.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aspie Bird said...

I can full imagine your feeling. I think I did the same thing when I was a kid, I'll ask my mum..

Nice blog!

And thank you for your comments on my blog!

When is your school X-mas holiday over??

Tue Jan 06, 01:31:00 PM 2009  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Holiday is over I'm afraid. They went back to school on Monday. I can't believe I miss them, but I do!

Wed Jan 07, 03:17:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Maddy said...

You and me both dearie. We also now have the fancy words to describe what we've been doing for 5 years......who'd have thought it. I probably would miss them and be lonely but as it is, I have Nonna, my older daughter and puppy to keep me busy........
Cheers

Wed Jan 07, 04:29:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home