It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Time away

Life can be so hard to balance sometimes. But lately we've been doing a pretty good job. This past weekend older brother and I went to scout camp and Patrick stayed home with daddy. I think a good time was had by all.

And, now that the boys have spent some 1 on 1 time it's our turn.

Mommy and Daddy are abdicating for a WHOLE WEEKEND! Yes, you heard me correctly. Left in the safe care of my parents our children will be well supervised and we are going to a hotel. Zipideedoodah is all I can say. I'm so freaking excited I can hardly sit still. We havn't been away this long together since before we had the kids and, although we've left them for shorter periods of time, this time off is long overdue.

We're going to do a bit of everything. Laze around, watch tv, eat junk food, go to a concert, maybe go to the movies, a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant and plain old shopping we can never seem to get done.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why feel guilty?? I'm leaving for 6 days at the end of June.

My guilt was realizing that I hated doing therapy.. so I don't, I have other people do it. We play, read, do some of those workbooks you can buy.... but little bit here or there... I'm not a therapist, I'm a Mom.

S.

Tue May 08, 07:13:00 AM 2007  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

I think you must have mixed up a couple of my posts. I did talk about guilt recently but I'm not feeling any guilt for leaving for the weekend. I'm psyched (only one more sleep *grin* )

It's good that you can feel good about not doing therapy if you don't like it. I'm a bit the opposite. I had to get over the guilt of NOT hiring lots of outside people to work with Patrick since I do like doing therapy with him myself. I'm pretty sure parents find guilt in lots of little places and we do much better when we decide not to feel guilty.

Thu May 10, 07:06:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left a post on mine under the Caregiver's bill of rights and you had this post so I thought... you were feeling guilty about your holiday.

Q?? You left the abbrev IRL on my blog... ?? What is it short for.

If you have the patience to do the therapy yourself... go for it. But I also have 3 part/part time jobs (farm, farm, church books), yard, garden etc etc... and I am much happier to send them to specialize programs or camps. They enjoy them which makes it that much easier.

S.

Thu May 10, 08:46:00 AM 2007  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Ahh, that makes sense. I think (but I could be wrong) that my post on the bill of rights was probably more to do with the every day taking time for yourself....but I gotta say my brain has felt like mush lately so I might even be wrong about that.

IRL is "In Real Life". Sorry about that.

I've always been told that I should put him in camps, bring more people in to work with him, etc. and that definately made me feel guilty for a while....but I'm over it now and we're just deciding to do what works for our family (which is of course what every parent should do....I was a big slow getting there though). I may change when he gets a big older and now want to do as much therapy myself and then of course we'll change our situation accordingly.

Thu May 10, 01:53:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IRL... Duh... I'm getting good at the abbrev and using them.

Temple was interesting to listen to. Will blog it tomorrow.

S.

Thu May 10, 08:16:00 PM 2007  
Blogger mjsuperfan said...

This is actually a response to your previous post ("I cried").
First: congrats on getting away with your husband! It'll be great, and you certainly deserve it.

In regards to the earlier post, I find that I can power through the really tough times, but it's actually during the just mildly sad times that I cry. I guess you let your defenses down for a moment.
It is frustrating always adjusting life for the autism, but it does sound like Patrick did well at the assembly overall. And you made it there to see his big brother, which is what really mattered.

Thu May 10, 08:29:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home