It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I left on thursday night for a 4 day camping trip sans children. I was so worried about how they would cope. I knew my husband(and my NT son) would be fine but I wasn't sure about Patrick. It occured to me that he didn't understand I was coming back. We don't have attachement issues luckily but still, getting up in the morning 4 nights in a row and not finding mom there could be disasterous couldn't it? I was afraid he just wouldn't be able to wrap his brain around the whole concept. Past and future are foreign to him...he lives blissfully in the present.

Well anyway, they were fine. I had an amazing 4 days although it was a bit surreal. I mean, not having to keep track of him every waking (and some sleeping) moment? It was great and I feel wonderful.

Even more amazing was the feeling I got when I first saw him upon my return. I was so happy to see him. The emotion at that moment was a bit overwhelming as I gazed into his beautiful amber eyes. I truly missed being his 24/7 caregiver. I am glad to be home where I belong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear mum,

I just found your blog, after a long series of links that began at MOM-NOS. I'm reading July's posts, and just wanted to let you know that I left a comment on one: "I Can't Wrap My Brain Around It".

Nice meeting you and Patrick!

Thu Aug 10, 10:35:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Hi California girl,

Thanks. :)

Fri Aug 11, 07:57:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home