It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, January 28, 2008

That's my baby...umm...I mean my big boy!

Patrick had his filling done today. He was fantastic!!!! So was the dentist but I just have to say... I AM SO PROUD OF MY BOY!

We started with the mask. Nice and slow. Helped that he thought it made him look like Darth Vader from Star Wars. We sat and chatted, the dentist talked to me, talked to Patrick. The oragel stuff (to numb the area) wasn't a big hit. Patrick HATES funny tastes especially ones associated with the dentist. He freaked out, the dentist had him rinse and spit and he calmed down after a few minutes. The needle for the freezing pinched of course. I held his hands gently and the dentist put a reassuring hand on Patrick's forehead and said "it takes 7 seconds, let's count" so they counted to 7 together while the dentist injected the stuff.

Then we told him the worst was over...and it was. His lip cracked a bit and he freaked but the dentist quickly swabbed it with vasaline and murmured in Patrick's ear that it would be ok. The drill didn't bother him at all and the dentist was very good at telling him what was going on and being honest about where we were in the whole procedure.

Of course he jumped up as soon as he was told it was over and ran to the treasure chest. Didn't look back just in case they wanted him back in that chair.

I'm really glad it worked out so well. The dentist said if we have to do it again (which we might for one other spot) it would take much less time because he knows exactly how Patrick reacts to certain things and he also knows the dosage for the gas. He didn't quite give him enough at first until I pointed out his resistance to meds in general. He also was on top of things enough to give him a second shot of freezing once the first one took just in case.

So, what else can I say. Yipee. This is a milestone I thought we'd never acheive.

5 Comments:

Blogger Niksmom said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Can you please CLONE your dentist and send him to each one of us??

Seriously, that man should get a letter of acknowledgment for his handling of the situation. I've talked to countless parents who say "Oh, they have to hold him/her down and it's just awful..."

Mon Jan 28, 05:59:00 PM 2008  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

I'm thinking of sending him a gift along with a note telling him how wonderful he was with Patrick.

Tue Jan 29, 04:58:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who I am more proud of, you, him, awesome dentist.

A milestone indeed. We have the most unusual milestones which makes for a much more interesting journey.
Best wishes

Tue Jan 29, 08:40:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Marla said...

Good job! A relief, I am sure!

Thu Jan 31, 07:11:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Char said...

Yay!; I"m so glad it all went well.:)

Char

Fri Feb 01, 06:32:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home