It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

When the juggler drops a ball...

Ok, perhaps that's a bit overdramatic. I guess I'm feeling a bit fussed.

Librarian checks out Patrick's books followed by my own.

"My, you sure have your hands full don't you?"

"Well, actually considering he was diagnosed with severe autism at age 3 I'd say we're doing pretty well."

Exit library under astonished gaze of librarian.

Ha! I never say stuff like that. I was just so...irritated. He wasn't even being autism-y (can that be a word?) he was just trying to leave before I was finished with my books and of course I had to stop him. Isn't it amazing how there can be that thin veil of critisism in a comment, either real or imagined, that can just send you over the edge?

I can't even say I have a reason to be edgy these days. The boys have been great. Swim lessons fill our Saturdays and Star Wars and hockey games fill our nights. School is going well. Patrick has even learned to play Monopoly (the Jr version of course). Some major stuff is going on that I can't talk about yet but it's nothing bad or anything. Just a big change and a bit of adjustment for the family but not something we can't handle.

So, hubby is bring me home a treat (better be chocolate) and we'll sit and watch our boys play together (a new skill) and he'll probably tell me what a wonderful mom I am. He tells me almost every day and, a stretch of the truth or not, I have to admit that it sure takes the edge off.

5 Comments:

Blogger Char said...

You see how bad a friend I am? I'd forgotten about this until Iwas doing my blogroll and you emailed Me. I'll be reading, again, for sure.:)

Char

Sun Jan 20, 02:09:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

Your jusband is right, you are a wonderful mum!

You are so right about how a thin veil of critisism in a comment, either real or imagined,can just send you over the edge sometimes!

Mon Jan 21, 01:25:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fav is "I don't know how you do it??"

I am learning to come up with all kinds of "polite" (full sarcasm) replies to that one depending on who says it.

I don't "suffer fools gladly" anymore.

S.

Mon Jan 21, 04:38:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Marla said...

I do know that frustrated feeling. You are doing great!

Maizie often runs on ahead of me and leaves me looking like a mom who can't handle her own child. I guess I have finally gotten used to it. Even though, I still have to run because she has no sense of safety.

Mon Jan 21, 09:38:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often say that one of mine is on a hair trigger, but other times, as with 'those' comments, I think I am too!
Cheers

Tue Jan 22, 07:30:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home