It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, January 07, 2008

When do you watch and see if they make it on their own?

This isn't big league. This isn't even big. This is teeny tiny stuff that drives me insane.

So he's doing well in beavers...do I stop sending a support worker? Do I "what if" myself to death?

He's doing well in school. When do I let the school pull support? What are the consequences of failure if it doesn't work?

He stopped running out in front of traffic. When do I let him play outside with me watching from inside?

God, I'll never get through the big stuff (living alone??????) if I can't figure out a way to stop this small stuff from driving me insane.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beavers - after you sit down with the support worker and the leader (separately) and ask what exactly the worker does for him, redirects him etc... if she's spending a lot of time making things simpler/smoother... she stays.

School - NEVER offer to give up support. NEVER.. make them come to you and make them prove it. Again, same as above.. what is the EA doing, how much, etc etc. Lurk outside the classroom door and watch.

Playing in the yard... start small. My eldest wandered out doors early, so he learned to stay on the step at age 3, back yard the next summer...etc etc. If he can't do as told... he loses the priveledge... I dragged mine back into the house, the moment I realized he wasn't where he was suppose to be. No multiple chances.. just 1.

S.

Mon Jan 07, 04:14:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

What if!
I agree dont give up the support, its so hard to get it back if you need it.

Mon Jan 07, 11:57:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Marla said...

Oh, how I understand these fears. Today M and I were talking about 'strangers'. Lets just say the talk was difficult and I don't know if she understands the concept. How old will she be before she understands? Will she ever. Ugh. Hugs. Hang in there.

Thu Jan 10, 07:54:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home