It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Decisions and Hindsight

Last week, Patrick lost his voice. I asked all the appropriate questions and got no answers. When his EA asked him he said he was sick. No fever, no cold symptoms. When I asked him again he told me "the bacteria are attacking my throat cells". Huh??? He never did say anything hurt.

So Friday I decided a sore throat (I was guessing) for 3 days plus swollen glands merited a trip to the pediatrician. I called first to ask if lack of fever meant he was fine. She suggested we come in. She took a throat swap and prescribed antibiotics. Patrick's never taken them before so I was worried how he would tolerate them (my gramdma is allergic). I asked if she wanted me to wait till the results came back before starting the meds, since if it was viral they would do nothing. She advised me to start them because if it was bacterial he'd be able to go to school on Monday if he was on them for two days. I felt silly but for once didn't argue and just did what I was told.

Got the call yesterday. It is indeed strep. I am so glad in hingsight we did what we did. He's looking so much better and able to go to school. And, apparently, you can have strep with no fever. Go figure!

3 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Hmm didn't know that either.
Wishing him well soon.
Best wishes


This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Tue Dec 11, 03:59:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope he's feeling better.

S. - the blog is down but the gmail is still active.

Wed Dec 12, 10:00:00 AM 2007  
Blogger mjsuperfan said...

Wow, the bacteria coment is pretty amazing!

Hope he's doing better!

Fri Dec 14, 06:49:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home