It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Yes, you are very model dearest.

"Mom, this truck is model?"
"Pardon?"
"This truck is very model?" *louder and more insistent, lots of bobbing*
"What do you mean by model, short-stuff?"
"Not short...Me's tall!"
Oops, shouldn't have said that. Discussion ensues about how you can be tall (which he is, very much so) but still shorter than, say, mom or dad. Oh, and it's "I" not "Me" in this instance.
"OK, back to model...."
"My truck is very model."
Understanding dawns.
"Oh, your truck is a model! It's a model truck? Is that what you mean?"
"Yes, it's very model. You know, very special."
"Yes dear, very special indeed."

I had to share this one word for word. I felt really slow for not figuring out that he was using a noun as an adjective. Silly mummy! Model boy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are days I wish Star Treks universal translator existed.

He persisted until you understood. I'm even more impressed when they do that without getting frustrated and giving up.

S.

Fri Nov 16, 08:04:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Marla said...

Very precious. We have these same conversations a lot! At least we can work through them now rather than her being very upset with me and melting down. Now, we keep going till we get it.

Fri Nov 16, 11:02:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh! you and me both dearie. Well done.
Cheers

Sun Nov 18, 01:59:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Casdok said...

You got there in the end!!!! Lol!

Mon Nov 19, 02:26:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home