It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween

We never used to celebrate halloween. But, since we caved to the pressure about 3 years ago I should have some pictures of my cute little bats to post sometime tomorrow. You wouldn't believe how thrilled I was to hear they wanted to be bats. I think it was Patrick's idea. He watched a show on bats and promptly announced he was going to be a bat. Older brother fell right in line. Yay, now those were easy costumes.

Trick or treating. Hmmm. There's something that used to scare the pants off me. Walking down a street (we don't go here where the houses are miles apart, we go to a friends house), knocking on doors, converstation with strangers, sometimes getting to choose your own candy, etc, etc, etc. He's even ducked past the person at the door and made himself comfy in their home.

But this year I think we're fine. Year after year of practice and talking about the "do's" and "don'ts" are going to pay off. He KNOWS not to go into someone's house. He KNOWS if you're told to take what you want that doesn't really mean take what you want. He KNOWS to hold my hand on the street. He KNOWS to say "trick or treat" and then "thank you".

So it should be fine right? Cause kids always practice what they know. Now all we have to worry about is the seniors home that invites the kids into the parlour so they can all admire them and give them pop. *sigh*

2 Comments:

Blogger Casdok said...

Good luck!!!

Wed Oct 31, 07:50:00 AM 2007  
Blogger mjsuperfan said...

It's a lot to remember, but I'm sure people understand if he doesn't remember all of it, all the time.

Hope it went well!

Thu Nov 01, 01:21:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home