It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

A parting of the ways.

Let me set the scene for you.

A small house hidden back away from the road. A long laneway winding its way to its destination. It meets a small country road in what some would call the middle of nowhere. Snow banks towering along the sides. Trees abound.

A lone figure, bouncing, flapping, plodding his way to the road to meet the beloved school bus. The school bus that will stop on the other side of the road. A mother follows not quite quickly enough. She hesitates. Run or watch? She chooses watch. Since a near-miss last year she knows the school bus schedule for any that pass through the area. None will pass at this moment. Her ears tune to the road and she hears no telltale crunch of gravel indicating an approaching car. She waits as her breath catches in her throat.

The figure reaches the road and...stops. A small head turns first to the left, then to the right, then checks the left one more time. Mother hears a voice as loud and clear as if it were right next to her. "No cars mom!".

And the bouncing continues accross the road.

4 Comments:

Blogger farmwifetwo said...

YES!!! Awesome job!!!! Clapping and cheering!!!!

Now the downside... last year, little boy is on an "off" day from Sr.K. Eldest yells, "bus Mommy" and out the door he goes. Mommy, comes across the house... old house, low windows... Mommy can see him clearly. Eldest stops mid yard (I don't want him running to the road), waits for the bus to stop, walks to the edge of the road, looks, crosses... Gets REAMED by the bus driver b/c as he was crossing I finally made the door.

Took me 2 months... before he'd do it alone again without asking me a million questions every step of the way.

I was soooooo mad!!!!!

Sheri

Thu Feb 14, 06:16:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Niksmom said...

Awesome sight, to be sure. :-)

Thu Feb 14, 06:40:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

Wow!!! :)

Thu Feb 14, 10:00:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Marla said...

Whew. I was holding my breath reading that! Street safety makes me soooo nervous. I am so glad it seems to be going well with you all.

Thu Feb 14, 06:35:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home