It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sensory Regulation

Patrick has been wearing a "superman vest" at school for short periods of time. It's basically a shirt that adjusts around his core and gives him a bit of a squeeze. Wonderful results were reported by all. Now, of course, it has to go back to where it was borrowed from. So I need to talk to the school about what their plan is. (my fault I havn't gotten in to talk to them)

In the meantime, anyone use anything like this? I've been looking online at items varying from scuba suits, underarmour, rash guard, etc. Trying to find something that he can wear under his shirt that will give him that same little squeeze. Also considering making something. Any material suggestions? Are there patterns out there for these sorts of things similar to the patterns available for weighted vests/blankets?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Maddy said...

We have waistcoats [vests?] that are made of dinosaur prints which was what they were first into and later a denim one which they wear over whatever they're wearing which means that you can take them off more easily as necessary. They were very expensive. You can buy the weights separately and you could [if you sew] make one as somewhere or other there is a pattern but of course you have to sew all the pockets which was a bit too daunting for me. If I get a chance today / soonishly I'll see if I can hunt around for the site.
Cheers

Thu Apr 16, 06:27:00 AM 2009  
Blogger A BCPSS Parent said...

I bought some chewey tubes from this ebay vendor (we're trying to figure out how to keep DS from liking his face raw) and noticed they had neoprene vests when I was looking in their store. Cost starts at $36 (more for larger ones) with shipping. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's the link.

Their description:
This vest is made from neoprene to be exceptionally strong and adjustable to the amount of pressure your child needs. With the vest it primarily provides deep pressure more evenly across your child’s body. The pressure is known to help reduce your child’s response to stimuli. This vest is often tolerated more than a weighted vest because it is very light weight and most children don’t notice it is on. It fits a chest up to 19” and its 10” long (contact us for custom size).

Fri Apr 17, 01:24:00 PM 2009  
Blogger shiftydi said...

Thanks for leaving your comment.... I follow this blog along with a couple of others and found the link to the vests geat. My 10yr old has autism and loves a squeeze. Going to mention this to his therapyst.

Sun Apr 19, 04:36:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Casdok said...

I hope you have had some joy in finding something else.

Fri Apr 24, 10:30:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried some sort of corset? I'm not trying to be funny but there are some on the market that are designed to correct posture and they're very utilitarian/medical-looking. In other words, they don't look like lingerie and they can be made to squeeze very nicely because they're adjustable. I used to wear one when I competed in dressage. It stopped me from slumping.
Also, I know what you mean about tattle tales. My kids are neurotypical and they all went through it starting in kindergarten until about third grade. It drove me nuts.

Mon May 11, 03:14:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home