It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, August 21, 2006

He's doing great and getting big

We're having a great time at swim lessons. I'm really proud of Patrick. I did realize today that he's getting big. If I have to be in the pool with him next year I'm really gonna get some interesting looks from other parents. I try not to let it bother me but admittedly sometimes it does.

Today i had a chance to chat with annother mom and told her about his Autism diagnosis. it felt good to say it out loud so that she understood that I wasn't just a crazy mom who had to go in the pool with her kid. I was glad I was in there today when Patrick left his instructor and jumped in the deep end. Now he did manage to come up to the surface himself but I was still glad I was there to guide him back.

So I'm entering a new phase. I can feel it. Up till now the fact that he was "only 3" or "only 4" has been enough to stop people from questioning his unique needs. But I can see now that soon we'll need to give more explanations because it will become even more obvious how different he is.

It's great to have so many blogs from parents whose children are in this next age bracket. It really helps to read how you all manage certain situations. Thanks to all of you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

It has been great getting to know you and Patrick. Swimming has always been a relaxing way for Littleman to regroup and unwind. There is something about being buoyed by the water that seems to help him center himself- I'm glad Patrick enjoys the pool as well.

Mon Aug 21, 02:59:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

I've enjoyed getting to know you and Littleman as well.

I think for Patrick being underwater cuts out all the external noise. It must be quite peaceful for him. At least now with him swimming I can be a tiny bit less tense when we're around water.

Tue Aug 22, 05:07:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Jenn said...

I am just a lurker. I started a blog of my own but did not keep it going, do not have the time. I have 2 children~ a daughter Sydney who is 3 and 1/2 and is an energetic smart young girl and then a son Liam who is 2 and being treated by Early Intervention with developmental therapy and speech therapy but we have not had him diagnosed as of yet. Waiting a while on that. He does not have any consistent speech. he can say some words but never says any consistent. When Patrick was 2 did he talk at all? I would like to get to know you.
Jenn

Tue Aug 22, 12:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

Hi Jenn,

Patrick has always spoken. That's why his diagnosis came so late. The problem is nothing he said made any sense at all. It was real words but was basically jibberish. Lots of echolalia.

It's a two sided coin really. I'm happy he's verbal and able to communicate but on the other side that normally means people expect more from him than he's able to give. At this point, if you said "hi Patrick, how are you" he'd probably walk away. He doesn't know how to have a conversation.

Glad to get to know you. :)

When I get a chance I'll blog about Patrick at age 2. Would be interesting for me to look back.

Tue Aug 22, 12:50:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home