It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Strength

Today as I was putting the assorted bikes and cars away in the shed I started thinking about strength. Not the physical kind of strength but that inward strength we all need to draw on from time to time.

I think this might be the biggest gift Patrick's uniqueness has given me. The understanding that I have an internal strength. He's shown me so many good qualities in myself that I have never seen before. My ability to cope under stress, a gift for multi-tasking, and definately bravery in unknown situations. He's shown me the underlying strength in my marriage. He's helped me to realize that when I feel all is spent, that I've reached the bottom of my emotional reserves that, yes, there is a tiny bit more strength there if I really need it.

He's helped me to uncover my closet advocate. He's reavealed to me a deep passion I can hold for a cause dear to me. He's taught me that I'm smart, resourceful, and calm under pressure.

I think, most of all, through his own strength of character he's shown me mine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Think of all those 'hidden' talents! [Reminds me of something about bushels]
You didn't have to scratch the surface too deep.
Best wishes

Fri May 25, 05:16:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Club 166 said...

It is truly amazing what things our kids can bring out in us.

I know I'm a better human being because of my son.

Sun May 27, 08:49:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Mom without a manual said...

I agree. Our experiences with autism have helped me "stenthen" my weaknesses. I am a much better person and a much better mother now.

Sun May 27, 02:17:00 PM 2007  
Blogger kristi said...

Ditto!

Mon Aug 06, 12:26:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home