It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Sorry Again

Sorry to anyone who checks back here regularely and finds no new posts. We had March break so without the kids going to school I've been 'in demand' quite a bit for my time. My uncle passed away and I still havn't told my 8 yr old and so that's been tough. Now that they're back to school I'm hoping to have some time each morning even if it's just to write a tiny bit about the day.

Patrick has been wonderful about the new girl in his class. She cried almost the whole afternoon and Patrick said he was "dissapointed" because they couldn't sing their good afternoon song. He said he tried to ask her if she was ok and then explained to me that she didn't have a lot of words to talk to him but that it was ok for him to talk to her anyway. I think most of her issues with the crying stems from seperation anxiety (probably increased by the autism factor) and hopefully she'll settle in soon. Crying used to really set Patrick off but from the way he described her first day he's dealing with it pretty matter-of-factly. I meet her tomorrow so I'm hoping to get a better idea of what he needs to cope with after that.

He did, however, suggest that maybe she should stay home if she was missing her mommy that much. I explained the best I could about how it might take her some time to get used to school, the environment, the new people, missing her mom, etc. She's 6 and just starting school so I imagine it will be difficult at first.

I did get away to an grown-up party this weekend. So I'll tell about that in another post.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart. Patrick's empathy for the new girl in class is wonderful. It is always hard being the new kid.

Mon Mar 17, 06:27:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

A grown up party?! With real grown up conversation??

Aww i hope she settles soon, how lovely that Patrick is looking out for her.

Mon Mar 17, 07:47:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Niksmom said...

Patrick is so sweet to be concerned for her. I hope she adjusts and that the information I gave you is helful to her mother. Can't wait to hear about adult conversation and such! Wow.

Mon Mar 17, 09:32:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home