It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Peaceful

I love watching my children when they sleep. Their soft breathing. Their little bodies lying limply in their beds. A small bead of sweat on thier upper lips. They often smile in their sleep and I enjoy sitting there wondering what they're dreaming.

Sometimes I speak to them. Or if I've been singing to them as they fall off to sleep I continue singing to myself softly. I'm not brave enough to kiss them or do much more than touch their hair for fear they'll wake up. After all the years we spent when Patrick didn't sleep through the night, waking with night terrors, wouldn't fall asleep till midnight.....

Older brother looks so long in his bed. How can he be 7? How can he be so tall? His hands are the hands of a child, no longer those of an infant.

Patrick still has those chubby hands. But why does his face look so grown up? His baby belly is now flat.

My boys are growing up (as they should be of course). How I will miss it when I'm not longer even welcome into the sanctuary of their rooms.

Perhaps I could still sneak a peak?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always sneak a peak... it's so nice and quiet when they are sleeping :)

Even nicer now without those nightmares/terrors the eldest had every night.

Thu Jul 19, 11:05:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Maddy said...

Ooo a fellow night creeper who is also banned from touching! Your secrets safe with me.
Best wishes

Thu Jul 19, 12:07:00 PM 2007  
Blogger mjsuperfan said...

There's nothing like a sleeping child...so innocent and peaceful.

We have the twins in "crib tents" now, so it's harder to see them at night. On the other hand, it is so much safer, so I sleep a lot better (they also seem to like them, for some reason)

Glad you are past the sleep problems!

Thu Jul 19, 09:52:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Steve said...

Watching my children sleep is, perhaps, the most "refreshing" thing I do. It's the equivalent of the "don't let the sun go down on your anger" marriage mantra. No matter how rough the day was, how much they may have misbehaved, a few minutes of sharing their peace clears the slate and excites me for what the next day will bring.

Sat Jul 21, 01:33:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home