It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Support

I think our lives are much easier lately because of support. Support from my family, support from people in real life, support from the school staff, support online.....it comes in lots of forms and is so important to the sanity of an autism family.

I had a lot of trouble building up support. Life was so difficult with Patrick at ages 2 and 3 (I mean crying into my pillow and feeling like a terrible mom and struggling so much to keep him safe and keep us sane...) that I was just so tired I didn't reach out. Not to mention that nobody in my real life situation understood our family at all. I couldn't identify with their lives either. I was such a recluse back then because it was so much easier on all of us if we didn't go anywhere. I'm glad I got past that point though because we all love doing things as a family now and in hindsight it wasn't fair to any of us...especially Patrick who deserves to see the world.

I'm also very shy. I'm a bit awkward with my words. I have trouble initiating contact. If I don't know what to say I often say nothing. These aspects of me make it difficult to bring supportive people in around me.

In real life it ended up I was forced to meet people and talk to them. The school needs information, the EA needed to talk about things every week, and some of the parents were so supportive (one who I knew from preschool had me to her house for tea the first day Patrick was in kindergarten cause she knew I was freaking out).

Online I've been lucky to meet some fabulous people who for whatever reason have chosen to reach out in friendship to me. I love commenting on blogs and swapping emails. It's great to talk to people who, while might be in different size shoes, have such understanding of someone walking a similar path.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who is part of keeping me grounded and afloat (sorry for the mixed metaphor, I felt it appropriate).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Support is a hard oen to build up.

Looks easy now... but like you... for a while it wasn't going so well.

I appreciate your posting and emails as well.

Thank you.

S.

Fri Jul 13, 08:11:00 AM 2007  
Blogger abfh said...

I'm glad that you have a good group of people helping you out!

Here's a meme for you to have some fun with. :)

Fri Jul 13, 08:22:00 AM 2007  
Blogger mjsuperfan said...

It's funny, I'm very shy too, but I find that I'll be more outgoing when it's needed in order to help my boys. (It's still hard, though)

It helps to read blogs like yours and see how far your family has come.

Fri Jul 13, 08:54:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Niksmom said...

Yup, support is so crucial. I am grateful to have found so many incredible parents onlne. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Sat Jul 14, 11:47:00 AM 2007  
Blogger kristi said...

I also had a hard time finding support, still do. Some of my family members are coming around, some aren't. If it weren't for my online friends, I would lose my mind.

Mon Aug 06, 12:23:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home