It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, March 24, 2008

House on Autism

I avoid autism tv as a general rule. Didn't want to watch Oprah. When I hear about a show running an episode about autism I tend to ignore it. I never tune in to watch on purpose.

So I happen to be flipping channels tonight when I landed on House. I like watching House although I watch very little tv in general so I don't watch anything regularly. This was the episode where they're trying to figure out what's wrong with a patient who happens to be autistic.

What did I think? Well, the 'looking through the autistic boy's eyes' was kinda cheesy. I doubt that's what they see unless they need glasses. But the final scene took my breath away. Not because of it's absolute accuracy, but because of it's poignancy. House says something about how finding out your child will be cured is an 8. But these parents are clocking in at a 6.5 because they know what they have to go home to. Then the boy walks up to House and hands him his electronic device. He looks him straight in the eye for several long seconds. He walks back to his parents who grin like fools (who of us hasn't been there) and pat him on his back and they walk away holding hands. The other doctor looks at house and says "That's a 10".

Wow. I've explained to many people (strangers/family/friends) how sometimes the milestones seem sweeter when it seems like he has to work so hard for them and they're sometimes so long in coming. But this way of expressing it just sent tingles up my spine.

6 Comments:

Blogger Niksmom said...

I remember seeing that one...I got a little choked up at the end.

Mon Mar 24, 06:23:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I have never watched that show but that sounds like a pretty interesting episode. Yes, I do believe we have a keener eye for every milestone and I do feel I am often brought to my knees with some of them. Many other parents just take for granted. I am sure I would too if I did not have a child like M.

Mon Mar 24, 08:55:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

Yes i also avoid autism on the tv. But being a House fan i did see this one. And the end was lovely.

Tue Mar 25, 01:11:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, you're now linked in my blog list. :) Thought you might like to know.

Sun Mar 30, 06:02:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that every new word that my son says...is like his first word all over again. It's one of those-I turn to my husband and give him the look saying "did you just hear that" and it's trying to hold in the excitement for fear that if he knows we're excited he'll stop doing it. We do get to celebrate a lot more in my opinion. :)

Thu Apr 10, 09:12:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Brett said...

House is one of my favorite shows on TV (sadly, I have too many favorites ;-). Like you, I didn't know what to expect from House on autism, but I liked it. Especially the ending.

Our autistic kids are much more tuned in to the world than we give them credit for, and that was a perfect example of the kind of things I've seen from my own son.

Thu Apr 17, 09:24:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home