It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Monday, March 31, 2008

That Sibling Thing

It's been coming for a while now. Slowly but surely he's noticed.


He has a brother! Yep, ladies and gentlemen, there is another person in the house. Did I mention it's a person to chase, scream at (and with), wrestle, jump on, and all around cause havoc with?

*sigh*

I remember the years when he didn't know his older brother even existed. And while I've always wanted them to have a full sibling relationship...well, let's just say I didn't quite know what I was wishing for. To make things more exciting, this new "play together" stuff has caused my older son to behave in ways he never has before.

So, before this realization slowly hit, big brother had all his rules regarding his little brother and little brother just was himself. Now little brother is having to learn all these new rules about having a sibling (an older sibling)...at age 6.

To clarify, Patrick has always had rules. Tough ones. But they've never involved older brother because, well, older brother was kind of on the outside.

Now I'm wondering if there's any way to possibly split them up, even for 10 minutes, so my ears don't explode. If noise levels are any indication, this new dynamic is being enjoyed fully by both boys.

3 Comments:

Blogger farmwifetwo said...

My eldest had a hard time over the last year with the fact little bro became a lot more independant and could do tasks like put in his own movies.

Mine don't play together. Ironically, little boy "plays" more than elder. But little one can shut the "busy" down, elder cannot.

We'll see what happens after we pull his meds in a week or so (Ped appt first). Child Psych recommendation.

Busy, busy.... it's all over on Trusera. But it's rigged for members only on mine.

Mon Mar 31, 07:40:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

Sounds wonderful to me!
Headphones might be a good idea!

Mon Mar 31, 08:22:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! I can imagine the chaos. M treats our dogs like siblings sometimes and it can be a challenge when she is not treating them nicely.

Mon Mar 31, 09:41:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home