It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

School, Summer, School again.

So off hubby goes again. It's been nice having him home and we've had some great family time. Back to reality (well suspended for this year reality but not reality...confused yet?).

The boys both did really well on their report cards. Older brother has caught up to grade level for reading and got an A in Social Studies. Patrick met a lot of his IEP goals. It even says on his report card that the effort he's been putting into relating to his peers has caused some of them to actually seek out his company during play time. For some reason that was really emtional to hear.

The school and I have been working together to prepare Patrick for the new challenges of Grade 1. We've got the teacher I want, with a full time one-on-one aid at least for the start, and they're all very aware that my biggest worry is the school yard. He'll have someone out there with him as well. A social story book was put together and used for the last month of school and then passed on to me for the summer. My favorite part is when it says "Other children might not remember the rules, but I will remember to ________." I think they realize that many of the problems will come from the fact that "normal" children aren't all that well behaved.

Also, a meeting was held with all the teachers to discuss autism in general and Patrick specifically. The Grade 1 teacher told me they focused on what they could do to help Patrick be successful. It sounded very positive.

I'd planned a longer update, but I have company coming and I need to clean myself up a bit. I should be back to regular blogging now so....talk to you soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Niksmom said...

How delightful to read all the positive news and developments! It certainly sounds as though Patrick is going into grade 1 with lots of people rooting for him and willing to provide the supports he may need. THAT is half the battle won!

Sat Jun 28, 10:57:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that the school is working with you so well. A one to one aide is fantastic. The social stories are great.

Sat Jun 28, 02:19:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Mon Mar 15, 02:36:00 PM 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home