It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Update-Long Overdue

Sorry I've been missing. I was on crutches for my ankle right up until the family wedding we attended. The last post is a pic of my boys at said wedding.

I'm pretty much healed up. A bit of pain but I can walk no problem.

The boys are doing great. Swimming lessons are the bright spot in our summer. Patrick's main goal seems to be drowning, but so far the instructor has managed to prevent this. It's quite hilarious actually, all us adults watching and waiting for him to surface while in his mind I'm sure he's loving being under the water.

Something of note. We didn't use the word autism once throughout the whole wedding weekend. We didn't use it as an excuse, we didn't explain any 'behaviours'. We simply let Patrick be Patrick and, honestly, everyone else could take a hike. It was really nice. Sometimes it meant that a relative was talking away at him and he was staring in the other direction. Oh well. Sometimes it meant letting him spin out into the hallway. The bride and groom were both pleased with him. That's what counts, right?

It's not that I don't want to identify him as autistic. It's not that I want to ignore the autism. It's that he is who he is and who he is is wonderful. Obviously he has to follow basic rules of conduct for a 6 year old. It's just.....I'm tired of smiling wanely at a stranger and whispering about his label. Surely I'm allowed, when I want to, to just let him be a little boy in the eyes of others, right?

Best moment of the night....when Patrick insisted on dancing with his mommy. Warm breath on my belly, loving arms around my waist, beautiful face smiling up at me. Didn't notice the bruising on my toes until the next morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

'Everyone take a hike!' Hah! Listen to you, everyone EXCEPT you I'd say. Glad you're mobile again.
Cheers

Thu Jul 24, 05:07:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Casdok said...

Hope your toes are better!

Im with you i hardly ever use Cs label. :)

Thu Jul 24, 11:46:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better.

Yes, no need to always be explaining. Having fun and letting things be is always a good way. Sounds like a great time.

Sat Jul 26, 07:27:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home