It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Invitations

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, we do a lot more 'out and about' stuff now than we used to. We go to museums, restaurants, bike rides, etc. But invitations are still the hardest for me to accept.

Myself and both boys were invited by a wonderful mom to come visit and play with her two children. They are almost the same ages as my boys. It's a wonderful idea. She knows Patrick is autistic and has been around him for short periods of time...most recently while at swim lessons (her sons have lessons around the same time).

Older brother is friends with her older son. They were in the same class at school this year. They'll get along fine. Patrick is a bit older than her younger son. That could be a problem. Patrick doesn't really know how to deal with a younger child.

I have a lot of feelings about doing this. It would be great to try. But I'm very afraid it just won't work. For one thing, she thinks we'll be able to have tea while the kids all play in the playroom. Well, that might work for a while but it certainly won't last for long. She's a nice lady, I'm sure I can convince her we need to at least be in the same room. I will be on edge the whole visit, I know it. And I'm not normally a negative nelly. But seriously, a new environment, children he doesn't know well, a place where he doesn't know his boundaries, and tons of new toys...none of which actually belong to him.

Anyway, we're going to go next week one afternoon after swim lessons.

5 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

I sympathise with you in that dilemma more than you know.
Best wishes

Fri Jul 20, 07:26:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily here those that know my boys are ok with them. But it's been slow for us to expand outside of those friends that we've had "pre-autism".

Still have few friends locally but atleast now when I go to library program other activities in the area I know more mothers and can sit and visit with them.

Fri Jul 20, 10:50:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Karianna said...

Best of luck. I understand the need to introduce new situations versus being worried about what may/probably happen. Sometimes people can surprise you - for the better, or for the worse. And until it happens, you won't know which it is!

Again... best of luck. :)

Fri Jul 20, 07:28:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Sat Jul 21, 01:38:00 PM 2007  
Blogger kristi said...

Best wishes on the playdate!

Mon Aug 06, 12:21:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home