It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Anxiety

I've really gotta chill out. I worry about every.little.thing.

So school starts in 3 weeks for older brother. Starts in just shy of 4 weeks for Patrick. I've got to get in to talk to the principal (who in turn will figure out how to get info to everyone else involved) about Patrick going off his meds, him having to wear a helmet when the kids ride tricycles in the yard, and all the 'what to do in case of a seizure' info. Then I have to figure out how much info the bus company needs. They don't know Patrick has autism but the drivers know he has a developmental delay of some kind because we've had to discuss strategies for keeping him safe. But now I think I need to give them some info on epilepsy in case something happens on his way to/from school.'

Mostly I need everyone to be informed and then make them understand that a seizure is not a big deal, I don't want them calling 911, I want them to call me, keep him safe and comfortable and, if it does last longer than 2 minutes, then they can call an ambulance( that's never happened though).

I'm trying really hard not to be stressed. On the up side, he's started wearing his medic alert bracelet whenever we leave the house and has learned not to take it off unless he has my permission. That's a big deal of course otherwise he'd take if off and lose it the first day of school.

Then, once we get over those hurdles, I'm anxious about the learning/testing part of school. Last year I didn't really care. I teach him stuff at home. All I needed them to do was keep him safe and let him experience school (and learn safety and stuff). He (and they) did a fabulous job. He learned a lot along the way which I'm happy about. But this year I'm worried. He has to prepare for grade 1. I'm so afraid they'll try and test him in the same way they test other children and, frankly, he'll fail. Questions need to be asked a certain way to get the answer you're looking for. And most of the time the answer is in there waiting to come out.

The funny (or sad?) thing about all this worrying is that it's mostly for naught. The teachers are fantastic. The school is great. I'm in there all the time butting my nose in where it doesn't belong (and therefore I know all that's going on). He probably won't have a seizure, and if he does he'll probably be fine (might traumatize the adults involved but, hey, it'll be an experience). They listen to what I say and if I express worry over testing I'm sure they'll take it into account.

Deep Breath.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is he going into Gr 1 or SK??

Don't you have an IEP??

If not, do you have a full Dx of PDD?? If you don't have you.. you need one.

B/c if you don't have an IEP you need an IPRC and therefore an IEP.

I'm going to email you the same.

S.

Tue Aug 14, 02:18:00 PM 2007  
Blogger mumkeepingsane said...

He's in SK this year, but they do a lot of Gr 1 prep in SK so I'm worrying early I guess.

Yes, he has an IEP, but testing isn't on it (yet).

He has a diagnosis of Autism Disorder (was severe, but downgraded to moderate).

Most of this stress is coming from weaning him off the seizure meds.

Thu Aug 16, 12:12:00 PM 2007  
Blogger mjsuperfan said...

I know what you mean about the testing. Both my boys can do so much more than they would ever show in a normal evaluation situation.

In kindergarten, they shouldn't be using tests as assessments anyway (IMHO). Usually a big part of the assessment at that age is observation of day-to-day work.

Thu Aug 16, 02:06:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We endure the 'testing.' Although the teachers are great and make accommodations, the results in black and white, always give me indigestion.
Best wishes

Thu Aug 16, 02:45:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm - that was the 14th, now we're the 20th! Do I detect a lack of chill?
Cheers

Mon Aug 20, 09:40:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home