It's All Okay

Just a mom blogging about life with an autistic child.

Name:
Location: Canada

I'm a stay at home mom with two boys. Patrick is my youngest and has ASD.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

An only child

Patrick doesn't often get a chance to have his parents (and grandparents this time) all to himself. My parents took older brother for the weekend and hubby and I took Patrick down to see hubby's parents. He was so well behaved (a bit hyper and there was some comment...albeit good natured). He also had a really good time. He laughed and played and talked to his grandparents (who he sees rarely since they live so far away)....he was a little chatterbox.

Hubby and I enjoyed the time away too. He likes talking to his dad whom he misses a lot. Also, we got to steal some moments while Patrick played by himself (shock!) and while his grandparents amused him. Even the long drive there and back went well.

All in all, I think he really enjoyed being an only child...temporarily of course.

Bit of a post script. We havn't talked "autism" with the in-laws much since I told them we got the diagnosis. I don't know if they think it's irrelevant, if they're more comfortable ignoring the elephant in the room or what (I have to say they are wonderful with him and don't get bothered by him at all or anything like that). Anyway, hubby was talking to his dad post visit and he must have mentioned how he doesn't remember his kids being like that and hubby said "well, he is autistic after all". His dad didn't say much to that. Hmmmm.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one that use to annoy me "well come kids are slower to talk that others." Which is why I ignored my dh's family and did what needed to be done.

The new one "well, he'll be fine". Eldest - yes, little one - ?? we'll see. But Why they'll be fine, b/c I ignore them and did what needed to be done. Not just "go with the flow". Could you imagine the delays???

S

Tue Aug 07, 10:50:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, parents. Pity they can't all be Italian in-laws?
Best wishes

Fri Aug 10, 08:49:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son does much better when his sister is away also. Denial is a powerful thing, it took my family a couple of years before they accepted the a-word.

Fri Aug 10, 11:24:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Miami Energy Audit said...

Appreeciate you blogging this

Thu Oct 20, 07:34:00 AM 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home